Slips and falls account for a significant number of injuries to customers and employees every year. The causes of slip and fall accidents are varied, ranging from wet or greasy floors, clutter, and debris, to uneven surfaces, improper cleaning, lack of hazard identification, and – in a small number of cases – fraud. And yet, slips and falls are the most preventable accidents to occur in the workplace.
The financial impact of a slip and fall accident can range from minor inconvenience to massive liability, depending on the circumstances. Employers also suffer a loss of productivity when employees are injured and off the clock.
Coverage for Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents would be covered under your business liability insurance. Make sure you have adequate liability limits to cover customer and non-employee claims, as well as workers’ compensation coverage to protect employees. If you are unsure of what limits you should have in place for your business liability, contact your insurance sales advisor to discuss.
In addition, a business umbrella policy adds an extra measure of protection. The umbrella policy would come into play if the liability exposures/damages exceed the limits of the base business liability policy.
Slip and Fall Accident Prevention
To reduce the incidence of slip and fall accidents at your business, as well as protect yourself in the event of a claim, follow these tips:
- Conduct a daily safety survey to look for common culprits such as wet floors, torn carpeting, clutter, etc.
- Immediately attend to any problems by putting up warning signs and taking steps to quickly eliminate the hazard.
- Maintain all floors and walkways on a consistent basis and fix all uneven surfaces if possible.
- Train your employees in slip and fall safety, and establish guidelines on how employees should report problems.
- Install secure handrails near all stairs and balconies.
- Take care of your outdoor areas, including sidewalks and parking lots.
- Document all of your efforts by keeping records of your daily safety inspections, maintenance work and how you dealt with any slip and fall accidents.